Wrongful Death Cases

Losing a loved one in an accident or another event is devastating and life-changing. You might seek justice if your loved one’s death was caused by the possible negligence or mistake of another person. If another person’s negligence resulted in the death of someone you love, you could be entitled to compensation for the damages and losses you suffered. Losing a family member in this way can be considered a wrongful death case.


Who can file a wrongful death claim in Arizona?

  • The surviving spouse of a decedent
  • The surviving children of a decedent
  • A surviving parent or guardian of a decedent

What if it involves the death of a child?

If the deceased is a child, the parent’s or legal guardian may file a wrongful death claim on behalf of the child.

How much time do I have to file a claim?

In Arizona, you must file a lawsuit within two years of the date of the deceased person’s death.

Is this a civil case or a criminal proceeding?

A wrongful death lawsuit is a civil action that seeks to recover monetary compensation for the survivor’s loss. It can include the loss of the individual’s wages, medical and possible funeral expenses related to the death, pain and potential suffering of the decedent and perhaps even lost companionship. Any criminal charges would involve law enforcement, separate from the civil case.

No amount of money can ever replace a loved one. However, compensation from a wrongful death lawsuit can help families move forward after a loss.

Experience Matters

The family who has lost a loved one would bring their case to civil court, with liability expressed in monetary damages. The help of an experienced Tucson wrongful death attorney will guide you through this challenging time. Fighting insurance companies and proving the cause of death are things you don’t have to worry about with the right wrongful death attorney beside you.

Attorney John Leader has successfully represented many families who have suffered the loss a loved one due to negligence, malice or accident.

To discuss your legal rights and options, please contact us to schedule your free case consultation. We will listen, answer your questions and help you make an informed decision about taking legal action.